How to help with the tornado disaster relief?
Here is a summary (updated regularly) of volunteer opportunities in Birmingham, donation sites in Birmingham and organizations providing disaster relief.
- Register with Hands on Birmingham. The City of Birmingham and Red Cross encourage individuals to go through this organization. As of today, they have 3,400 new volunteers in their database ready to help!
- The Christian Service Mission needs volunteers to organize donations at their Woodlawn location (3600 3rd Avenue South). They will organize volunteers, beginning this Saturday, to assist with clean up efforts.
- United Way of Central Alabama – simply call 211 to volunteer
To Donate Items:
- Blankets / Towels (new)
- Bottled Water
- Non-perishable food items
- Hygiene products (soap, wipes, toothbrushes, feminine products, etc.)
Drop off locations in Birmingham include the following:
City of Birmingham
- Boutwell Auditorium – only water, gatorade, pre-packaged food items like chips or crackers, and feminine products (volunteers will retrieve items from your car, you do not even need to park)
- Silvertron Cafe – Clairmont Avenue (Forest Park)
- Rogue Tavern – 2nd Avenue North
- Kreps Law Firm – 502 Montgomery Highway
- Mountain Brook Creamery – Cahaba Road
- Canterbury United Methodist Church – Overbrook Road
- Once Upon a Time – Crestline Village
- Grandmother’s Joy – Crestline Village (receive 30% off entire purchase through May 4th)
- Whole Foods – Hwy 280 (only bottled water)
- Riverchase United Methodist Church (also asked for gallon size ziploc bags, wash cloths and band aids)
- All Homewood Fire Departments
Hwy 280 SE
- Fire Station at Doug Baker Blvd.
- Christian Service Mission – 3600 3rd Avenue South
- Blood Drive in Birmingham located at the UAB North Pavilion at 6th Avenue & 18th Street South
- American Red Cross blood donation center at Ridge Park on Birmingham’s southside
- LifeSouth donation centers at the following locations:
- West Oxmoor Donor Center, 396 W. Oxmoor Rd., 9am-7pm
- Brookwood Medical Donor Center, 2010 Brookwood Medical Center Dr.; 7am-4pm
- St. Vincent’s East Donor Center, 50 Medical Center Dr.; 7am-4pm