It’s time for The Market, the annual shopping extravaganza coordinated by the Junior League of Birmingham to bring together the best boutique shopping and “it” items under one roof. It is a giant bazaar of vendors from far and wide who bring everything from soup (bases) to nuts (recipes for roasting) and every kind of super-cute holiday and gift item in between.
The Market is one of the best girlfriend/sister/mom shopping venues in the city. Here’s just a sample of what you can expect:
- Monogrammed anything – most done while you wait (including the industrial weight, enamel coated single initials that are so festive hanging on a door…it’s a southern thing)
- Ornaments, ribbons, decorations, and seasonal merchandise that isn’t at mass retailers yet
- Serving pieces of all sorts and for all occasions – acrylic, ceramic, earthenware, aluminum
- Table linens such as runners and cocktail napkins; cosmetic bags, totes, and weekender bags
- Gift wrap – any color scheme you can imagine, with the same distinctive curling ribbons, tent boxes and cellophane bags that boutique stores use. CASH ONLY at this booth, as I have finally learned.
- Jewelry, from handmade artisan pieces to convincing costume designer knock offs
- Seasoning packets for cheese balls of course; what self-respecting Junior League market wouldn’t promote this food group?
General admission tickets are $12 and we’d be missing the whole point if we didn’t mention how your purchase of a single ticket will provide 4 weekends of food to a food insecure local student through the JLB/Vineyard Family Services Backpack Buddies program. Bring a few girlfriends and your combined tickets could add up to new clothing to help victims in crisis at the Rape Response Center. That’s a lot of assistance to our community for the same price as a movie ticket.
The Market is at the Cahaba Grand Conference Center off Hwy 280. General admission shopping starts Thursday, November 15th at 9 a.m. and goes strong until 8 p.m., beginning again at 9 a.m. again on Friday. Saturday shopping runs from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and on Saturday SANTA AND MRS. CLAUS will be available for photos with your kids between 9 – 11 (bring your own camera; kids under 12 admitted free).
Strollers are welcome after 2 p.m. Thursday and Friday and all day Saturday. In other words, serious shoppers are elbowing around before then!